Friday, January 15, 2016

Disc Golf

About a year ago, a disc golf course opened up not far from where I live. Not like an hour or so, but literally about 10 minutes from my house. I'd played a few times before when I lived in North Carolina and really enjoyed it, so when the course opened here, I expected I'd go play somewhat regularly.

But I never did. I don't know exactly why I haven't been. I'm excited about it being so close and it was always fun when I played before, but for what I'm sure are a million excuses, I never went.

Fast forward to last month and my son got a disc golf yard set for Christmas. It had two plastic "holes" and three discs. (Frisbee is a registered trademark, so it's call disc golf, not Frisbee golf. Use that fact to bore your friends at your next party.) It took a little while to put it together, but ever since I did, he's wanted to play. So we've taken the holes out to the yard and set them up, played 9 or 18 holes.

Earlier this week, I told him if the weather's good, we can go play on the real disc golf course on Monday when we're all off work and school. You'd have thought I told him he could have ice cream and popcorn for dinner for a month. He's looking forward to it and so am I.

And now the most interesting articles I read since I last posted:



Who Killed Lawrence Phillips - Former Nebraska football star and NFL running back Lawrence Phillips took his own life in his jail cell. Dave Zirin takes a look at the many ways society failed him.

Paul DePodesta Explains His Path to the Cleveland Browns - How does someone go from working in Major League Baseball to the NFL? This feature of just such a man was really an article about how we look at the world.

The Problem With Journalism Is You Need An Audience - Do publications have to pander to their audience to remain viable? If so, what does that mean for the future of an informed populace?

Hello, They Must Be Going - The next time someone complains about a player not being loyal, feel free to point to how team owners also aren't loyal, not only to players, but to entire cities.

Football as a Metaphor for American Decay - Just a reminder that the virtues taught by football aren't exclusive to just that game.

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare - This is about a week old, but it was recommended enough that I knew I had to read it. I'm glad I did.

This Guy Got Sir-Mix-A-Lot's Old Phone Number - It's not 1-900-Mix-A-Lot

No comments: