Thursday, February 4, 2016

Is there a Book Club for Articles

So you may have guessed by the number of articles I try to post, I read a lot. But as I've mentioned, I don't read a lot of books and mostly save articles to the app Pocket where I do most of my reading.

Well, earlier this week I got an email that makes me feel better about not reading books (not great, mind you, as I know I need to read more books, but better.)

According to the email from Pocket, I read roughly 2.5 million words on the App last year, which using whatever metric they use, equates to 52 books, or one a week.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than to try to justify to myself that I don't take the time or have the discipline to read more long-form writing (even the long articles I read wouldn't be more than a chapter in a book.)

Now that I've complained about reading articles instead of books, here are some articles I've read that I liked.

Ken Stabler, a Magnetic NFL Star, was Sapped of a Spirit by a Disease of the Brain -  On the same day thousands of high school football players signed scholarship offers, we were reminded of the toll the game takes on players.

After Racist Episodes, Blunt Discussions on Campus - A look at the University of Missouri's efforts to talk about race and difficulties surrounding even having the discussion. 

What O.J. Simpson Taught Me About Being Black - Life experiences play a large part in our perception of the world.

An Open Letter to Ta-Nehisi Coates and the Liberals Who Love Him - A critique of Coates call for reparations and his criticism of the Bernie Sanders' campaign not to make them a part of his agenda.

The goodbye:



No comments: