Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Helping

A high school classmate of mine died today.

We weren't close or anything. We had a few classes together and as far as I can remember, he was always friendly towards me and I hope I was the same way towards him. But we never hung out outside of school. We were just in different circles and, as I imagine is common in all high schools, there was very little overlap between our circles outside of school.

I don't feel that I'm old enough to have high school classmates passing away. But I guess that's the point. None of us will ever feel old enough to believe a classmate should die.

This isn't a "live every minute like it's your last" post. Instead, it's a "take time to do something for someone else"  post. We're all stuck on this little blue ball we call earth for a short time. We don't know how long, but we know it's not much. So use that time to make things better for someone else.

Visit a friend you haven't seen in a while.

Call someone you've been meaning to call.

Smile and say hello the custodians at your office.

Donate to a charity.

Write a letter to a friend who moved away.

Visit a nursing home.

We don't know when we're leaving, but we can sure make things better for others while we're here.

No comments: