Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Reflections on Game 1

My wife said I should do a quick blog post the day after each World Series game to kind of recap my feelings since there's no documentary crew following me around as the Cubs go for their first championship since 1908. So here we go on Game 1.

My thoughts on Game 1: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Corey Kluber pitched like the former Cy Young award winner he is, getting strike outs for eight of the first nine outs, the first pitcher to do so in World Series history. He was dominant. The Cubs seemed to execute their game plan of being patient and working deep counts, as they've done all year, but last night, it didn't really matter. Kluber was just that good.

Cubs pitcher Jon Lester gave up three runs in 5.2 innings, but he wasn't sharp. There were lots of baserunners (six hits, three walks and a hit-by-pitch) so to "only" give up three runs was really a fortunate break for Chicago.

Cleveland Catcher Roberto Perez, he of the three home runs total during the regular season, hit two home runs last night, including a three-run shot in the 8th that effective put an end to any chance of a Cubs comeback.

Chicago's best chance came in the 7th, when they loaded the bases with no outs, but a shallow fly out and two strikeouts to end the rally.

But that's all game recap stuff you can read anywhere. Sure, the Cubs lost and that's disappointing, but I got to see a Cubs World Series game on television, something no one on the planet had ever done before last night. There are only two teams left playing and the team I grew up cheering for is one of them. But as a football coach once told me after his team suffered a loss, "hey, the other team practices too."

I was frustrated, like any fan, at the Cubs inability to get the big hit when they needed it, but my team is in the freaking World Series.

Earlier yesterday afternoon, after my son had finished his homework and reading his book, he looked around and said he was bored. I offered a few suggestions, (read more, play a board game, clean up the playroom) but he didn't take me up on any of those.

Instead, he looked at me and, with excitement in his voice, said "I want to have a catch with you."

So off we went to the back yard, just a father and son, having a catch, throwing pop ups and grounders and having a great time.

So yeah, the Cubs lost Game One of the World Series last night. But I got to watch them play and my son asked me to play catch with him, so I'm not going to complain one bit about it.


Now if they lose tonight, it might be a different story.


No comments: