Friday, May 16, 2014

Oh the places you've been

It's a gift 16 years in the making. One that he may not truly appreciate for another 10 years after that, but I love the idea. My only regret is I thought of it too late for it to be completely comprehensive, but hopefully he won't mind.

So here's what we're doing. Each year for the past three, we've asked our son's preschool teacher to write a note to him in Dr. Seuss's "Oh The Places You'll Go." We'll continue asking his teachers from kindergarten through his senior year of high school to do the same and then give it to him when he graduates. Sadly, we missed his first preschool teachers and have since moved away. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

I feel like if my parents did this for me when I graduated high school I'd have been like "eh, cool, whatever." But by the time I turned 28 I think it would be something I really treasured. We all have yearbooks that we got signed by our friends and classmates (and now conveniently stored in boxes in the attic), but I don't know many students who took the time to ask their teachers to write something for them. Maybe they did and I just didn't notice.

We gave the book to his Pre-K teacher earlier this week. I'm anxious to see what she writes. I'm more anxious to see what my son thinks in 25 years about what she writes.


No comments: