Wednesday, November 20, 2013

57 Channels and Nothing On



I blame Netflix mostly. Some of the blame can go to PBS, but primarily Netflix.

What do I blame them for? I’m glad you asked.

But I didn’t ask, I mistakenly clicked here thinking this was a terrible Monty Python tribute site and just started reading.

I blame them for my inability to watch normal television anymore.

Wait, didn’t you give up cable years ago? And don’t ask how I know this about you after accidentally coming to your site. Of course I don’t work for the NSA, why do you ask?

Like the crazy italicized guy said, (Hey, what’d I do?) we gave up cable years ago, and with it, the magical device that is the DVR. Instead, we opted for a mix of Netflix, Hulu, a digital antenna and mlb.tv for our tele-visual entertainment wishes. It’s been great as I’ve found more and more interesting shows to watch instead settling for a rerun of NCIS or whatever else is on cable.

So other than sports, I’ve pretty much given up on watching commercials. And at least with the NFL I know I can count on about a six minute break with only a kickoff (and most likely, a touchback) interrupting the barrage of beer and truck ads so I can go do something productive around the house.

Well last night, my wife didn’t want to watch what I was watching on Netflix …

What was it?

That’s not important.

I’ve made it this far, you might as well tell me.

Ok, my wife didn’t want to watch Raising Hope and decided she’d see what was on one of our over-the-air channels. She quickly settled on The Voice where we saw a terrible performance of a song I’ve already forgotten followed by about five minutes of banter about Adam Levine being named People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive.”

Oh, my girlfriend thinks he’s so hot.

Thanks for that, crazy italicized guy. Anyway, after that they cut to a commercial and I just looked at my wife and sighed. “You’ve given up on regular tv, haven’t you?”

“Pretty much,” I responded. By that time I’d finished uploading a few photos onto Facebook…

Hey, let’s be Facebook friends

I’d finished uploading the photos and my wife said “oh, you’re done. You can watch what you want, I’m going to play on Pinterest.” So I returned to watching Raising Hope (Snort, oh, sorry.)

I don’t care what you say, I like it. So I went back to my blissful commercial-free viewing and I’m not sure I’ll be able to go back to “regular” tv again.

No comments: