Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Don't bring me down

Song title: Gravity of the Situation
Artist: Hootie and the Blowfish

This is the second in my 323-part series of blogs inspired by the songs in my iPod.

John Mayer sang ‘Gravity wants to bring  me down.’ (Note: This song isn’t in my iPod, so I don’t feel bad about appropriating its message for the sake of this blog.) Gravity isn’t the only thing that wants to bring me down. I’ve compiled an incomplete list of the other people, places and things that kill my buzz.


ESPN Radio’s Colin Cowherd

Living in a town without college football

Realizing I left the last load of laundry in the dryer from last week, meaning an extra load to fold and put away this week

Reruns

Rerun from the Peanuts comic strip

The lack of a playoff in 1-A college football

Losing in video games
Corollary: Especially to the computer

Not finding money in the pockets of jackets I haven’t worn since last winter

Thinking that making a list of things that get me down would be easy

Rainy days

Mondays

Losing in fantasy football
Corollary: Especially to my brother

Rearview mirrors that refuse to stay attached to the windshield despite repeated attempts by a multitude of people, including professionals.

Remembering that the stupid people who post on the internet are not limited to the internet but actually attempt to function in society

When the podcasts I listen to daily are posted later than I expect them to be

Getting sucked in to reading something online I really don’t care about

The library not having the book I want

My kid’s Mr. Potato Head set

Holidays that delay me getting my next Netflix DVD by an extra day

The dog in the apartment next to mine that barks whenever a person, cat, dog, bird or any other living creature walks past its window

The fact that I’ve considered drugging the dog

Shows that wrap up shows with musical montages because they don’t have the time to properly conclude the show with dialogue

Athletes and coaches who speak in nothing but clichés

Being expected to parent my kid instead of letting the television do it (Ok, that one was to see if you’re still actually reading)

The consistent drumbeat of the NFL that drowns out all other sports coverage.

Every cable news network in the history of mankind

It getting dark before 5:30 p.m.

When you wake up and expect it to be 45 degrees out and you dress with that expectation only to find out it’s really 65 degrees and you’re overdressed, but you’re running late and you don’t have time to change so you’re stuck being the person who didn’t bother to check the weather forecast and everyone gives you looks that let you know they’re thinking ‘really, is it that hard to step outside in the morning before getting dressed.’ Yeah, that really gets me down.

The fact that I still have 321 songs to go to finish of my iPod Walk.

Fantasy update:  The Fighting Squirrels went 1-2 on the weekend, winning in the league in which I’m in first place and (obviously) losing in the other two. Making things worse, I lost to my brother on a 50-yard Hail Mary at the end of the Jacksonville/Houston game. That pass falls incomplete and I win. Stupid Texans (the team, not the residents of Texas, though that’s a matter for a separate blog.)

Next Song: I Shot the Sheriff
Artist: Eric Clapton

1 comment:

ashley said...

What do you have against Mr Potato Head?