Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It's a nice day for a . . . white wedding (part 1 of some undetermined number)

Beginning Thursday, I'll be in South Carolina for a three-day wedding extravaganza for my brother and soon to be sister-in-law. It's going to be an experience as it's essentially a Hindu wedding, which as you might expect, will be the first of those I've ever attended. Most of the weddings I've attended have been traditional church weddings with bridesmaids in ugly matching dresses that all of them hate, groomsmen in tuxes that they tolerate for a chance to hit on the bridesmaids and a pastor that gets left at the alter when everyone recesses at the end of the (hopefully) 25-minute ceremony.

Needless to say, this will not be one of those weddings. Instead, it's turned into a three-day ordeal in which I honestly don't have a clue what's going on for any of it. The actual ceremony is set Saturday, but there's something Thursday night, and another Friday night. I don't really know what to expect. The only thing I'm reasonably confident in is that there won't be any hamburgers or steak all weekend. Oh, and I get to wear Indian clothes (the subcontinent kind, not the native American kind). Don't worry, there will be pictures.

I'm going to do my best to recap each day's events with the irreverence you've come to expect here at ExpectingTheSpanishInquisition. Some holds will be barred out of fear of insulting a culture I know nothing about (other than the lack of bovine-based food products and what I've learned from Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on The Simpsons.)

Note: I'm hoping to be able to write something each night. They likely won't be long and I'll strive for a longer recap sometime next week. 

2 comments:

Scott Garner said...

The Garner household greatly appreciates your forays into, you know, real life.

josh said...

Alright. If you're pulling back the reigns on your commentary due to fear of pissing-off the inlaws, at least give us this:
-since the weekend coincides with the Masters, give us some Tiger references.
-maintain a running theme of Apu quotes and quips.
-at least something gloriously inappropriate enough to ruffle your brother's feathers (metaphorically speaking)... or at least enough to make your mom laugh or cry (either one; we never know which way she'll go).

Just letting you know what your public wants and expects of you.