Friday, January 29, 2016

Greatest Hits (Volume 1)

I don't listen to a lot of music. I used to. In high school and college I would always have music playing in the car or even at home in my room when studying. I enjoyed it, and still enjoy it, though my music listening time has shifted to podcast listening time.

When I did listen to music, I wasn't one of those people who needed every album by an artist. Sure, there were (and are) bands I really like and have a lot of their releases, but for the most part, I was content being a "greatest hits" fan of bands. I didn't need the deep cut off their unreleased first studio recording. Just play the hits and I'll be good.

So at the end of every month, I'm going to release my Top 10 list, which is the 10 best articles I've linked to that month, in no particular order.

Here we go:

Football Killed Tyler Sash - Adam Jacobi does an amazing job of forcing us to decide if the sport is worth enjoying. Jacobi writes "Football's an easy sport to watch, but sometimes, it's awfully tough to enjoy."

Would He Disapprove of my Single Heathen Lifestyle - A woman takes in a Syrian refugee and writes about it... and the second half of the article is the refugee writing about his experience living with a British woman.

A Day In the Life of an Iowa Family Drowning in Campaign Ads - I think Dante left out a circle of Hell that is living in Iowa before the caucus (or living in a swing state during the election.)

This Guy Got Sir Mix-A-Lot's Old Phone Number - Not nearly important as the other things on this list, but it made me smile.

 Bill Cosby and his Enablers - Ta-Nehisi Coates on Bill Cosby and the culture of enabling.

Why Are Americans Ignoring Trevor Noah -  I've enjoyed The Daily Show under Noah for what it is, but it does lack the bite that it had under Jon Stewart. I hope we don't complain about what the show isn't that we miss what it is right now.

Dear Cam Newton: Please Don't Read This -  Dave Zirin examines the bizarre need some people have for Cam Newton to meet their standards of what a role model is.

Where Life is Cheap By Design -  Craig Calcaterra writes about Parkersburg and Beckley, West Virginia and Flint, Michigan. Three places that have seen failures of government to protect its citizens and also three places that he's lived.


Sunday Service in Charleston -  Charlie Pierce visits "Mother Emanuel" six months after nine members were killed by a gunman.


How I Lost My Love of Sports - On Purpose -  This one was published in 2015, but I didn't read it until 2016 so I'm counting it.

The Big Goodbye:


No comments: